Sunday 1 March 1981

Music gives Consolation

The next two days are off, we do not have classes. Most people enjoy the carneval activities, but I am smoldering in my own malaise.
Well, I have all the time in the world tomorrow!
Today I did something useful: I sorted my documents and stuff, and put new labels on the binders. Nothing exciting, but at least I will be able to find things.

Recently I have listened a lot to music on the radio. Usually at night, after 22:00. I am lucky to live in an area where I can receive several local FM stations with classical music. This month they celebrate the 100 birthday of Bela Bartok, one of my favourite composers. I have a whole schedule of the broadcasts, will record a lot of tapes.

It seems that only classical music can calm me down, can give me hope. Especially the music of "newer" composers like Bartok. The dissonances actually give me consolation, give me the assurance that I am not the only one who is suffering, and that things will eventually get sorted out and end well. So I hope at least... I am looking forward to the radio programmes this month. Last year I taped Bartok's First Rhapsody, and that piece brought to me his sound world. A few years earlier I had no connection to his music, I found the piano pieces which I was given as assignent by my music teacher white boring and dissonant, could not relate to them. But since I heard a few of his orchestral pieces, I am a great fan of his music. A few months ago I even played the Allegro Barbaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment